CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

....a second life?



I did something I told myself I wouldn't do..
I allowed a friend  to entice me to join Second Life

that's me at the empty church...it really was beautiful...the angel was amazing...

For those of you who don't know about Second Life
 and I wouldn't have if I didn't visit Alex Nobles wonderful sites to read her really, really excellent and thought provoking writing....spiritual and otherwise...
she often uses "postcards" from her travels through Second Life...
between what I've seen there and my friend's encouragement
 I decided to check it out myself.



this was fun, you know I love to dance....he sync'd us


Second Life has a zillion member created virtual worlds,
with 40,000 or so members traveling through those worlds....
I've only seen a few.

I've teleported to a meditation garden where a BIG Teddy Bear seemed to be in deep meditation...a church, not a soul around.....a couple of dance clubs..Machu Picchu, drum circles, clothing stores and bookstores, coffee houses.....a fairy crossing where I left my avatar to sleep for the night and found her the next night stripped of her clothes??
.....all but the dance clubs were virtually empty.


meditation garden


 Creativity abounds and at the moment that is my fascination....the creativity and the wonderment that people spend hours and hours and hours creating, and living in their second lives...


The Fun
When you arrive in Second Life you get to create your avatar...
the being who will live your second life..
You get a basic model and get to redo everything, eyebrows and eye color, lips and nose size, you can be a My Little Pony or a Teddy Bear, pretty much anything you can imagine.  You can lift and shape your breasts, your butt and mold your hips, flatten your tummy, lengthen or shorten your legs, arms and neck, choose your foot size, choose the style and color of your hair....or from what I can gather you can buy a 'skin' and turn yourself into a very sexy Barbie doll....it seems to be 'the look', but of course I want my own look so
one of my daughters and I created my avatar and it was quite entertaining...
endless combos and possibilities.
There seems to be no way to make yourself old...lol


...that's me in another incarnation...the hair and skirt move as though it's real...only better.


When you arrive in Second Life and are given a limited number of things, but you can shop.
So the first thing I did after trying to learn to walk
.(harder than you might think..dancing is much simpler, as is flying.  I still have the newbie 'duck walk'....not sure how you get rid of it) 
was to look for stores with free clothes...
You can buy clothes and people do use real money to buy a virtual wardrobe as well as land and homes and the things to make them livable....


All you have to do is push a button to 'teleport'' your avatar to a store or any location...
Unfortunately once she lands she has to walk.....I've walked her into walls and through walls, off of bridges and into ponds, off of cliffs.....she can fly...but flying presents landing issues...
She's landed in the ocean, flat on her face and butt first on another avatars head...
if he noticed he didn't make an issue of it...lol.
It seems opportunities to embarrass my avatar abound and there is judgement there just like in the real world.




I landed here unexpectedly....is the Universe giving me a message??


But back to shopping.....just teleport to a store.... click what you like and it goes straight to the closet or if you choose onto the avatar......for this woman who loved to play dress-up as a child, this part of Second Life is fun.


and look at this invitation....


'Afterhours at the Fitzgerald subscrib o matic' has sent you a message from Second Life:
BEATLES ENCORE @ AFTERHOURS AT THE FITZGERALD 8-10PM SLT!!!
Our SEXY DJ BRIDGIT is doing a Beatles Encore. The timeless, well-known music that we all love and brings back such wonderful memories.  Put on your finest formal wear and come join us for this great event beginning at 8pm SLT until who knows when Bridgit will stop!  The limo is running and just waiting for you to slide in for a trip to a fabulous evening with loved ones, friends, and maybe even enemies!



Now tell me that isn't tempting?...dancing the night away to the Beatles....?
but I would have to shop for a gown....


I think I found the end of the earth..


.However, fun or not, Second Life  is a real life time sucker, complicated for someone like me who has trouble with my Face Book page...
it also feels a little lonely...
my friend hasn't been there since I joined...
Second Life also feels a little sad........
but it is a curiosity...
and I feel the draw to investigate it a little more...
I'll send postcards. 
xo













0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails